Sunday, September 16, 2007

(Not) Back to School Again

Fall 2007 - I feel like I should be back at school and in a way I also feel like I am back at school even though I'm not enrolled. I'm not even sure if the local community college has courses in web site design, server/database programming, and SEO, but I'm motivated enough to learn and the internet is a powerful enough library that I'm not sure I need to spend the money and time on classes. Unfortunately, for all my love of learning that degree still carries a lot of weight in the job market. Political science and theories on liberty in society will always be my passion, but without signing up for a mainstream party affiliation there's not much of a job prospect in that.

But one day a career path did finally become clear, and I had to look no further than the writers who had inspired my political philosophies: Publishing.

Publishing is the market of ideas - where plans and thoughts are advertised, sold, and bought. The world has never been the same since this market opened up with the first commercially viable printing presses, and I daresay the progress is overwhelming. It is a powerful industry, and one not to be entered into lightly - the capital you trade influences the collective conscious and alters the path of human history.

Some do it for the money, some do it for the art, and some do it because they think (perhaps naively) that they can make tomorrow better than today.

No comments: